Monday, March 14, 2011

how it all got started cont'd

 So it came down to getting some venting via the soffit.  There were 1x8 pieces of wood nailed between the rafter joists, and I thought I would just have to cut/knock these out and the baffles would fit right down to the edge.  Little to my surprise the roof joists do not line up with the floor joists.  So first I had to pull a bunch of insulation back from the edge, then I had to build a baffle type space with scraps of wood so that I could attach the purchased baffles to the roof and there would be adequate venting.  This proves to be quite time consuming and difficult since in order to do this I have to lay on my side and work in about 8-10 inches of space. 
 I have been able to do and good chunk of the south side of the roof so far.  My goal is to have the south side vented so that I can move all the loose insulation over to that side.  The reason being is that we need to have the rest of our roof finished this year.  It needs to be tore off and sheeted.  While doing this a lot of crap will be falling into the attic.  I am trying to avoid having to sift through all the insulation and pull out broken up shingles.
  Anyways, now that the baffles are in on the south side I need to pull up a few floor boards that go right up to where the roof meets the floor.  This way I can blow in or add insulation and after it settles there will be no air space. 

So there is lots to do and it is quite time consuming.  I will be dding more pics here as soon as I get up there again with a camera. 

No comments:

Post a Comment